Friday, July 8, 2011

As You Wish



Who doesn't love The Princess Bride?

Ryan and I have both loved this movie since we were kids, and I introduced him to the
book while we were dating. He even used it in a collage of words when he proposed. We just love it. Not only do we quote it regularly..."My name is Inigo Montoya. you killed my father, prepare to die!"...but we also have some uncanny coincidences with the story, as you will soon see.

Today I finished The Princess Bride, by the genius author William Goldman, for the fourth time. Twice I've read the 300+ pages in a day - it's that dang good! It's one of those books that never fails to make me laugh out loud. Reading it this time, as a 25-year-old wife brought out new details that I never would have noticed in high school.

Get this...the author's birthday is August 12...our anniversary. I almost couldn't believe it when I read Westley's explanation to Buttercup about the Dread Pirate Roberts on page 184:

" 'What I am about to tell you I have never said before and you must guard it closely.' I of course said I would. ' I am not the Dread Pirate Roberts,' he said, 'my name is Ryan. I inherited this ship from the previous Dread Pirate Roberts just as you will inherit it from me.' "

No way! No wonder this is what we chose to be for our first Halloween (2010) as the Becks:

No comments:

Post a Comment