Are you frugal too?
Granted, we're just starting out. But still. We don't buy the "instant gratification" consumer concept floating around society. We don't need brand-new everything; nor should we pay top-dollar to have nice things, especially when we can find deals. Steering clear of unnecessary stress, we avoid consumer debt like the plague. In fact, a big attraction factor when we were dating was how frugal we both like to live. (As I've said before, we bargain-hunters were meant for each other.) We seek to be wise stewards of our money, and maybe you can relate to our living-on-the-cheap lifestyle:
1. Going through your wardrobe, you can recall how much you paid for each shirt - whether at a thrift store like D.I. or on sale. "Yeah, this GAP one was $2, this American Eagle was $4. That Ralph Lauren, oh, that was pricey - it was $8."
2. Whenever you go to a hotel, you keep mini bottles of lotion, shampoo, and conditioner. You now have a hefty supply useful for camping trips, keeping in your purse, or that dreaded day when you run out of conditioner mid-shower.
3. You never go out and just buy high-ticket items. For things like new road bikes, you do research online, and usually find the best deal on sites like KSL.com, craigslist, etc.
4. You know OfficeMax gives $2 for every empty ink cartridge you turn in, and you can buy them on eBay for 60 cents a piece. So, you rack up the points and get free office supplies.
5. You're proud of the fact that your entire living space is populated with hand-me-down or gifted furniture.
6. When you get presents, you keep all gift bags, ribbons, and even tissue paper to wrap future gifts. (No use in spending $4.95 on a bag. I mean, come on!)
7. You do yardwork and/or handyman projects at your apartment to lower your rent.
8. When banks offer a $100 or $125 bonus for opening an account, you jump on it. You keep money in there for the required six months, close it and walk away with more than the going interest rate. You have already made $850 with this little trick.
9. Last, but definitely not least: When the sample day rolls around at Costco, you think, "Mmm...FREE LUNCH!"
How are you frugal? Tell, tell. We wanna hear your ideas.