Sunday, July 1, 2012

Preparing to Make the Cut


Forgive my blatant vanity: This post is about hair.

If you've seen me lately, you've noticed my hair is reeeeaaallllllyyy long. I've been talking about donating it for the better part of a year, and held out for a recent photo shoot with my high school friend (and incredibly talented professional photographer) Selena. Click here to see what we were up to. If you clicked, you'll notice my "writer girl" pictures for a soon-to-be-launched writing blog. (Our Beck Trek friends will be first to have a sneak peek...tune in soon!)

I'm so pleased with her pictures - both the creative writer ones and the outdoorsy head shots. If you're looking for a photographer in Arizona or Utah, Selena's a blast to work with. I highly recommend you check out her website

Back to hair...my lengthy locks can look like THIS!? After seeing Selena's magic, it almost pains me to make the cut. Almost.

Let's be honest. My hair in these pictures is the result of three hours of concentrated effort and two helpers (thanks, Katy and Jen!) I'm happy to have the movie star potential of my hair recorded, but would rather sleep an extra hour or finish a grad school assignment or actually go running or cuddle up with Ryan for Dr. Quinn than do a hairdo.

Thanks to Dad, I have an enviably thick braid. I'm grateful, don't get me wrong. Hair like this takes a lot of TIME I don't have/want to give.I literally only wash my hair every 5-6 days. (OK, OK...I even get away with a whole week sometimes.) It's so thick it only starts looking greasy on Day 6, and then I just bun-wrap  and nobody can tell. When I do wash it, a painful fight follows: Comb vs. Snarls. I hate it. The snarl fest is my least favorite 15 minutes of the week.

Because I have been given much (hair), I too must give. I have such a soft spot for cancer patients, mostly because I'm still missing my Auntie Melanie.  Yesterday we did the 5K for miss Millie. This is the week I'll be donating 9 inches. That's about two year's growth. And that's time well spent.




9 comments:

  1. That's really awesome of you. I can't wait to see the new do.
    I'm glad you linked to Sorensen Studios she does beautiful photography. I really liked the photos with the typewriter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The upcoming writing blog is part-personal goal, part-grad project for Dr. J's class. Thus, the typewriter. ;) thanks

      Delete
  2. I just donated 11 inches! Feels so good, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate fighting snarls, drying, and straightening my hair, but I found a cure-all: take a small section of hair, put your brush in the top, and as you slowly brush down, aim the hot air from the blow dryer at it. It dries, straightens, and detangles all at once. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! It's tempting to tell you not to cute it, but It will grow back:) I donated 11 inches a year and a half ago and it's already getting long again; you'll be back to those lovely tangles and snarls before you know it! And gorgeous pictures too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Kari! I wrote this post as a personal push to just get it cut. You know how it gets nervewracking right before. Just gotta do it. ;) it will grow back

      Delete
  5. It does pain me to see that beautiful luscious hair go bye bye. But I am SOOOO glad you waited to document it! =-) Thanks for linking my website! You are the best EVER!!! You BETTER post before and after pictures of this!

    ReplyDelete